Friday, July 29, 2011

Talcott Mountain State Park


73 Degrees, Cloudy, Misting
The weather forecast called for rain, all day. Not a great day to play radio in the mountains. But, the morning was notable only for lots of clouds, and a little mist now and then. I don't have a lot of free time to hike with radio gear, so I didn't want to let this opportunity slip by.

Talcott mountain is an approximate 950 foot peak in Central Connecticut, located just several miles away from my home. You can park halfway up and then hike up a well maintained path to the ridge with great views. The Farmington River Valley extends out below. I set up my Yaesu 817 & Buddistick. There was not a lot of room to maneuver, no trees overhead to launch support line for dipole...the Buddistick worked great.

I began calling CQ on 20 m. Heard lots of signals, but no answers to my CQ. I decided to find some strong stations, and try to get a call at the end of their contact.

WA4IUC - Ray in North Carolina
W4HEX - Will in Alabama. Always great to make contact with my home state.

The clouds came closer, and mist started to fall. Time to pack up and head home!

All in all, a nice outing to Talcott Mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment